Monday, August 12, 2013

little joys: a fulfilling monday schedule.



It's been one of those Mondays in which I derived great joy from the freshly-vacuumed carpet's lined pattern. 

I have these days from time to time, though not often enough - the ones where I'm just filled with joy over completing menial tasks. Over the mini hustle & bustle of my own life. Over my taking control over the most minute details. You know, that kind of day. 

While I was showering [obviously where most people do their best thinking], I had the thought to share the sequence of my highly simple, yet highly fulfilling day. I highly doubt anything ground-breaking may be gleaned from reading this post - consider that your warning.

-----

I rose around ten this morning, which is later than I had originally wanted, but early enough to still feel productive. I looked around at our freshly-cleaned house & decided: I'm actually going to make our bed this morning. After that, I loaded all of the things we planned to donate to Goodwill into my car & set off for the gym, where I did 30 minutes on the bike, as well as some toning with weights. 

Here's where it gets really good: on the way to the Goodwill drop-off facility, I stopped at Dunkin Donuts. Dunkin Donuts is a relatively new thing for me; you see, we don't have them in my hometown [or at least we didn't then - I can't speak for now]. And as I was pulling into the parking lot, I remembered: today is $1.00 iced coffee day. What is $1.00 iced coffee day, you ask? Well, it is a day during which you may purchase an iced coffee - any size - for one measly little dollar. Naturally, I asked for the largest size. I didn't really know what I was getting myself into, because before I knew it, the lady at the register was handing over to me a 32-ounce BEAST of an iced coffee. That's when I knew it was going to be a good day in Lauren Land. 

I dropped off the boxes at Goodwill, then drove back home to meet Justin for lunch, all the while sipping my gargantuan iced coffee. And loving every second of it. After he left, I proceeded to tackle catching up on my correspondence, meaning I responded to all of my messages & comments on all social media platforms, as well as on my blog. I scheduled the tweets for The Sunday Currently. The only thing I didn't get to in this category was responding to all of my emails. Alas, it is only Monday, folks. There's still time. 

The next few hours of my day were spent on the following activities: baking strawberry-on-strawberry cupcakes, shoveling banana chips into my mouth, showering to John Mayer songs, putting on makeup, fixing my hair, chatting on the phone with my sister, folding & putting away laundry, & vacuuming [see above for proclamation of vacuum lines love]. 

-----

So, you see? Not a particularly eventful day, but instead one chock-full of endless productivity, it seemed. And this is just my favorite, favorite type of day. So I decided to share it with you. Because maybe you take joy in this kind of day, too. And maybe this will inspire you to live out this kind of day tomorrow. Lord knows, I will try to.

In a little while, we'll be heading to the airport to scoop Justin's mom up, as she is arriving for a week-long visit. I can't wait to spend the week with her; we have lots of Wilmington-exploring to do!

How was your Monday? Did you get a lot done? I hope you enjoyed yours like I enjoyed mine.

photo: the beast-of-a-coffee mentioned above \ instagram

3 comments:

siddathornton said...

I love this type of day! I was hoping for one today but didn't wake up until almost 2pm! I guess I just needed to sleep in lol

siddathornton said...

I'm gonna sound like a crazy coffee lady for a second but how in the world did you live without dunkin' donuts... oh my life would be so different (and my bank account would be richer)
On another note, I love vacuum lines ;)

siddathornton said...

That coffee is frighteningly large, but it seems that it did the trick! I love days like that, where you just float from task to task and and get so much done. It sounds really nice!

the back and forth.

Justin had to turn on the air conditioner again last night.  It's October 26 - doesn't that mean the heater can stay on? Doesn't...