Thursday, March 1, 2012

remembering february two thousand twelve.


i need to remember february two thousand twelve as a month when my wedding dress & the most beautiful valentine's day flowers ever - orange & white roses - sat in the same room together, reminding me about my future.

february two thousand twelve saw two nights spent in the car, driving toward nights out, singing fun. & young the giant, with my favorite shreveport people. my best friends.

i need to remember february fourteenth, two thousand twelve, as a day of trials, of a wedding dress purchase, and of a frenzied rush to the wrong theater. of an hour of therapy in a crowded lobby. walking into the vow feeling that yoga feeling - the feeling you either get after, well - yoga... or a heart-to-heart with a dear friend. you walk a little taller. you breathe a little deeper. you feel a little more yourself.

february two thousand twelve also saw me leave my job of two-and-a-half years - and the friends i had made & kept in those years - in preparation for a move to the east coast.

february was the month in two thousand twelve that saw the bittersweet move out of my parents' house.

february two thousand twelve was the month that happened eight months before our wedding.

the second month of two thousand twelve was the month i went to visit my sophomore-year-sister at millsaps. and we walked around campus, taking the most random pictures you can imagine. and i left knowing that it was one of those days i'd always remember - a little snapshot in my memory, reminding me of who we were at twenty-five & nineteen. 

and i'll never forget the long-overdue conversation i had during the car ride home. or the drive around ruston, with a sugar free red bull & a huge honey bun. getting lost in the cemetery. found on alabama.

i'll never forget that february two thousand twelve was the month i promised myself to cherish the tiniest moments of life. because you really don't get to re-live them. people say you only live once too often - it has begun to lose its meaning, which, in my opinion, is a tragedy. this little truth - more than any other - should be held in highest esteem.

why wouldn't we want to believe something that will make our lives inordinately more special?

as we plunge ahead at warp speed, with the present so soon becoming the past - the future so soon becoming the present - let us remember that this only happens once. really.


photos: iphone

4 comments:

Diane said...

Lauren I am so happy for you. I am going to miss having you right down the hall and street but I know that we are both moving onto bigger and better adventures. I love you!

Diane

Eliza :: Case Study said...

This is such a neat way to document your month! Love the idea :) xo! eliza

p.s. Handmade giveaway happening on the blog today :)

Unknown said...

aaaand I'm in tears. You are right. 'You only live once' has lost the meaning, but when you lose something so special- like working along side your best friend day in-day out- you realize how precious the time was and how quickly it goes by. I will forever treasure our heart-to-hearts. There are too many to count. I will miss you more than you know.

xo- linz

DJ said...

I love this post! It makes me want to write one of these every month.

Have a lovely first day of work! Yay for new adventures :)

the back and forth.

Justin had to turn on the air conditioner again last night.  It's October 26 - doesn't that mean the heater can stay on? Doesn't...